Top 5 Tips for Cleaning Your Floors with Pets
Clean homes make it easier for you to relax. Not only can they help provide the perfect space to recharge, but clean homes are healthier for you and your family. For homeowners with pets in the family, having clean floors can seem like a challenge—pet hair, along with dirt tracked in from outside, add an extra level of cleaning to maintain beautiful floors. All it takes is a little extra prep and care to show your floors and your pets the love they deserve.
Pets need to have clean, safe floors because they can spend a lot of their time at ground level. From simply lying on the floor, eating off the floor and exploring/sniffing floors, our pets have a totally different experience of floors than we do. Here are some simple floor cleaning tips for pet owners to keep everyone healthy and safe.
- Use a pet safe floor cleaner. Cleaning dirt and grime off floors can be done safely and effectively. Choose a safe cleaner with quality ingredients, free of harmful chemicals to reduce the potential for your pets to inhale or ingest. Bona cleaners are waterbased, biodegradable solutions that are phthalate and paraben free and also meet the U.S. EPA product standards to be Safer Choice Certified for containing ingredients that are safer for people, pets, and the planet
- Keep pets properly groomed. Fur is a big concern for pet owners, and frequently brushing your pets will keep them cleaner, happier and avoid a lot of fur getting onto your floors. To prevent/minimize scratches on floors and damaging your finish, be sure to keep pet nails neat and trimmed.
- Add an extra round of dusting. Fur on floors is pretty much unavoidable for most pet owners. Because of this, it’s important to use a dusting pad or vacuum to deal with fur before regular floor maintenance. While it might be easier to combine the two tasks, you’ll clean floors more effectively if you remove as much fur as possible beforehand.
- Prevent messes in pet zones. Keep areas with heavy pet traffic protected for easy clean up and maintenance. Use pads or mats around food areas and make sure food and water bowls are stable to minimize spills or crumbs. Pay extra attention when housebreaking pets and attend to pet messes ASAP to avoid floor damage or lingering odors.
- Protect floors with rugs and mats. Protect entryways and other areas where pets are most likely to stay with extra floor protection. Entry mats can be a great way to trap dirt and debris from pet paws before when they enter/exit your home and rugs can provide a comfortable spot for pets while protecting the beauty of your floors. If possible, invest in multiple rugs or mats to swap out more frequently to keep floors looking fresh.
At Bona, we are dedicated to creating cleaning solutions that are safe for your pets, family and the planet. Our water-based cleaning solutions are specially formulated to get rid of the toughest grit and grime on your floors. From floor cleaners, surface cleaners and mops, you can expect great results that are trusted by floor professionals around the world.